- Our Learning
- Home Learning
- SEND (Supporting your child with SEND)
- Sensory and/or Physical Needs
- Helping a child feel calmer
Helping a child feel calmer
When the young person is over-stimulated and feeling anxious these activities/strategies may help them feel calmer.
• Sitting under a big, heavy blanket.
• Hands on head and pressing down.
• Tucking legs up and squeezing.
• Deep pressure massage.
• Slow rocking e.g. rocking chair.
• Giving themselves a hug.
• Lavender scents.
• Squeezing and relaxing a small fidget toy.
• Squeezing and relaxing face and/or hands.
• Snuggling into a small space.
• Sucking a “sweet” sweet.
• Sucking yoghurt/thick milkshake through straw.
• Bear hug.