Skip to content ↓

What should I do if I think my child may have SEND?

The SEND Code of Practice says that teachers should make regular assessments of progress for all pupils in schools and settings. This will help to identify those children who are making less than expected progress. The school should then decide if your child needs SEN support and should talk to you about this.

However, sometimes you may be the first to be aware that your child has special educational needs.

If you think your child may need SEN support you should talk to:

  • your child's teacher
  • Mrs Claire Crabb, the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinator (SENCo)
  • your child's childminder
  • your health visitor
  • ask to speak to the school nurse
  • your GP